If you own a water fountain in your yard or home, you may have experienced the annoying humming sound that comes from the pump. This can be due to various reasons, including the pump being unbalanced or dirty. Luckily, there are some simple steps you can take to stop a water fountain pump from humming and enjoy the peaceful flow of water.
Table of Contents
Clean the Pump
One of the most common causes of a humming water fountain pump is debris and dirt build-up. If the impeller or a dirty shaft blocks the pump’s normal operation, it will strain to move the water, increasing its sound levels. Cleaning the pump will help reduce the humming noise and improve the fountain’s flow significantly. Start by unplugging the fountain and removing the pump for cleaning.
- Clean water
- Metal scrub brush
- Algae cleaner
- Remove the pump from the fountain
- Disassemble the pump into its component parts
Make sure to note the reassembly order for later.
- Clean the pump parts using clean water and a metal scrub brush while wearing gloves as some elements may be sharp or rough.
- If there are algae and limescale buildup, add an algae cleaner to the pump parts and use a brush to remove it.
- Rinse all the parts with clean water before reassembling the pump.
- Reassemble the pump, following assembly instructions.
- Plug the pump back into the power socket and test it to ensure it is functioning properly and noise-free.
Level the Pump
Another reason why water fountain pumps may hum is being unbalanced. If the pump is tilted in any way, it will create vibrations, leading to a humming sound. Therefore, you may want to check that the pump is correctly installed and leveled.
- Unplug the pump from the power source and remove it from the fountain basin.
- Reposition the pump and adjust its feet to level it.
- Place a spirit level on all sides of the pump to check that it is level in all directions.
- Reinstall the pump into the fountain.
- Plug in the pump and test to ensure the humming noise is eliminated.
Use Rubber Padding
If the above steps do not eliminate the noise, using rubber padding can be a quick and effective solution. Vibration can transfer to the surface the fountain is on, causing the humming noise to spread. Therefore, creating a barrier between the pump and the surface can help eliminate the noise.
- Unplug the pump and remove it from the fountain basin.
- Cut rubber padding to fit the pump’s base, making sure to cover the entire surface.
- Place the rubber padding under the pump and make sure it is level.
- Reinstall the pump in the fountain basin and plug it back in.
- Turn on the pump and enjoy the silence.
In conclusion, preventing a water fountain pump from humming is relatively straightforward. Cleaning the pump, leveling it, or placing rubber padding under it can help reduce the vibration and eliminate the humming sound. If you cannot identify the cause of your fountain’s humming noise or you prefer professional assistance, do not hesitate to contact a specialist to help you.
- How Do I Stop The Water Collect Under My Pet Water Fountain?
- What Size Pump Do I Need For A Water Fountain?
- What Size Pump Do I Need For My Water Feature?
- What Size Pump Do I Need For A Small Water Fountain?
- What Size Pump Do I Need For My Water Fountain?
- How Strong Water Pump For Water Fountain Do I Need?
- What Kind Of Pump Do I Need For A Double Rock Water Feature?
- How Do I Wash The Catic Water Fountain?
- What Kind Of Pump Do I Need For A Water Feature?
- What Size Solar Water Fountain Pump Do I Need?
Last update 2023-12-03