A water fountain is more than just a decoration. It is a symbol of serenity and tranquility that brings nature closer to us. However, having a water fountain requires maintenance, and one of the most common issues people face is the build-up of algae, mineral scale, and debris. In this article, we will guide you on how to clean build up off a water fountain, so it looks brand new and functions perfectly.
Table of Contents
- 1 What You Will Need
- 2 Step-by-Step Guide
- 3 Tips to Prevent Build-Up on Your Fountain
- 4 Related Products
What You Will Need
- Bleach or white vinegar
- Scrub Brush
- Water hose
Step 1: Turn Off the Fountain
Before you start cleaning, you need to turn off the water supply and unplug the fountain. This will prevent any accidents and also save you from water wastage.
Step 2: Drain the Fountain
After you turn off the fountain, you need to empty the water from the fountain and its reservoir. You can use a small container to scoop out the water or use a hose to do it quickly.
Step 3: Remove Any Debris
Remove all the leaves, twigs, and debris that might have accumulated on the fountain’s surface or sunk to the bottom. You can use a scrub brush to do this gently, ensuring that you do not scratch the surface.
Step 4: Scrub with a cleaner
Once you have removed all the debris, you need to clean the fountain surface with bleach or white vinegar. You can use either of them as both are effective cleaning agents. Mix the cleaning agent with water in a bucket, put on gloves and use a sponge to scrub the fountain surface gently. Avoid using harsh detergents or household cleaners as they may damage the surface’s finish.
Step 5: Rinse with Water
After scrubbing the fountain surface, rinse it thoroughly with water. You can use a hose to do it quickly, but you should avoid pressurized water that can damage the surface.
Step 6: Clean the Pump and Filter
The pump and filter of your fountain are critical components that need regular cleaning. You can take them out and soak them overnight in vinegar or bleach solutions for thorough cleaning. Brush the components gently, rinse them with water, and reassemble them back into the fountain.
Step 7: Refill the Fountain
Once you have cleaned the fountain, pump, and filter, you need to refill the fountain with clean water. Check if the pump is working correctly before plugging the fountain on. You can add water treatments to prevent the growth of algae and to keep the water fresh.
Tips to Prevent Build-Up on Your Fountain
- Clean your fountain regularly. A weekly cleaning routine can prevent algae and mineral build-up from happening.
- Avoid keeping your fountain in direct sunlight. Sunrays accelerate algae growth and cause mineral buildup.
- Use distilled water. It contains fewer minerals, which means less mineral build-up.
- Use a fountain cover. Covering your fountain when not in use can prevent debris and sunlight from entering and maintaining the fountain’s cleanliness.
Cleaning your water fountain is a simple and rewarding task. A clean water fountain adds beauty to your garden or home and serves as a perfect stress reliever. Following the steps described above will help you maintain a beautiful and functional fountain. Remember to clean your fountain regularly to prevent the build-up of algae, mineral scale, and debris. Happy cleaning!
- How To Clean Build Up Off Commercial Outside Tile Water Fountain?
- How To Clean Calcium And Lime Build Up In A Water Fountain Pump?
- How To Clean Green Off Water Fountain?
- How To Clean Calcium Off Water Fountain?
- How To Clean Water Fountain Algae?
- How To Build A Water Fountain That Turns On And Off In Minecraft?
- How To Clean A Stone Water Fountain?
- How To Remove Calcium Deposits From Water Fountain Off Of Painted Stucco?
- How To Get Hard Water Stains Off Water Fountain?
- How To Clean Algae From Water Fountain?
Last update 2023-12-03