Water fountains enhance the beauty and ambiance of any outdoor space, but just like anything exposed to the elements, they require regular maintenance. It’s not uncommon for water fountains to develop a green or brown algae buildup, which not only looks unsightly but can also affect the water quality. To ensure your water fountain continues to run smoothly and looks great, we’ve put together some tips on how to clean green off water fountains.
Table of Contents
- 1 Materials you’ll need:
- 2 Step-by-Step Guide:
- 3 Tips:
- 4 Related Products
Materials you’ll need:
- Rubber gloves
- Safety glasses
- Algae removing solution or vinegar
- Bristle brush or sponge
Step 1: Safety First
It’s important to take precautions when cleaning your water fountain. Be sure to wear rubber gloves and safety glasses to protect your skin and eyes from the solutions you’ll be using.
Step 2: Drain the Fountain
Turn off the power source and unplug the fountain to drain any existing water. If your fountain doesn’t have a drain plug, you can use a bucket to scoop out the water.
Step 3: Prepare the Cleaning Solution
Fill a bucket with water and add an algae removing solution or vinegar. Vinegar is a natural alternative that’s effective in removing algae. If you’re using the vinegar, mix ⅓ vinegar and ⅔ water. If you’re using an algae removing solution, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Step 4: Scrub the Fountain
Use a bristle brush or sponge to scrub the fountain’s surfaces while soaking it in the cleaning solution. Pay special attention to the areas with algae buildup. Use a toothbrush to get into any small crevices or tight spaces.
Step 5: Rinse the Fountain
Once you’ve scrubbed the fountain thoroughly, it’s time to rinse it. Use a hose or bucket of clean water to rinse away any remaining algae, vinegar, or cleaning solution. Be sure to avoid spraying any electrical components or pump.
Step 6: Reassemble and Refill
Allow the fountain to dry completely before reassembling it. Once it’s dry, plug it in and refill the fountain with clean water.
- Clean your water fountain regularly to avoid algae buildup.
- If you have a large water fountain, consider using a pressure washer to clean it.
- Use distilled water when refilling your fountain to prolong the life of the pump and prevent mineral buildup.
Cleaning green off a water fountain may seem like a daunting task, but with the right tools and cleaning solution, it’s a relatively simple process. Remember to take safety precautions, use vinegar or an algae removing solution, and scrub the fountain thoroughly. With regular cleaning, your water fountain will stay looking beautiful for years to come.
- How To Clean Green Algae From Water Fountain?
- How To Clean Calcium Off Water Fountain?
- How To Clean Build Up Off Water Fountain?
- How Do You Clean Green Slime Out Of Small Yard Water Fountain?
- How To Remove Water Fountain In Alice Green Fingers?
- How To Remove Calcium Deposits From Water Fountain Off Of Painted Stucco?
- How To Clean Water Fountain Algae?
- How To Clean Build Up Off Commercial Outside Tile Water Fountain?
- How To Keep Water Fountain From Turning Green?
- Cleaner To Remove Green Algae From Water Fountain Non Toxic
Last update 2023-12-04