A water fountain is a stunning addition to any outdoor space. It adds an element of nature and serenity to your garden or backyard. However, during the winter months, the beauty of your fountain can be hampered as the water freezes in it. A frozen fountain not only looks unappealing but can also cause damage to the fountain’s structure. In this article, we will discuss how to keep an outside water fountain from freezing.
First, let’s address some factors that contribute to the freezing of your water fountain. Temperature is the most crucial factor that affects whether the fountain will freeze or not. If the temperature drops below freezing point, the water in the fountain freezes, causing damage to the fountain’s structure. Another factor is the presence of debris, such as leaves, in the water. Debris in the water can absorb heat from the water and make the water temperature drop rapidly, culminating in the freezing of the water. Moreover, the size of your fountain also impacts its freezing tendency. Large fountains are more likely to freeze faster than smaller fountains. The depth of the fountain is also a factor to consider. Deeper fountains take longer to freeze than shallow fountains.
Here are some ways to keep your outside water fountain from freezing:
1. Drain the water from the fountain: The easiest way to prevent your fountain from freezing is to drain it during the winter months. Once you empty the water, there will be no water to freeze. Ensure that you clean the fountain thoroughly before draining the water to avoid debris accumulation and damage to the fountain.
2. Use a fountain cover: A fountain cover is an excellent way to prevent debris from getting inside the fountain. It also shields the fountain from snow and frost. A cover can keep the fountain’s water temperature from dropping too fast, preventing it from freezing.
3. Add an anti-freeze agent: Adding an anti-freeze agent to the water can prevent it from freezing. Anti-freeze agents contain glycerin, which lowers water’s freezing point. Ensure that you use food-grade glycerin to avoid toxicity.
4. Install a fountain heater: A fountain heater is a device that keeps water from freezing by heating it. These heaters come in various types, including ceramic, submersible, and solar-powered. Choose the heater that suits your fountain and power source availability.
In conclusion, freezing water can damage the structure of your outdoor water fountain and ruin its beauty. Therefore, take measures to prevent your fountain from freezing by adopting methods such as draining the water, using a fountain cover, adding an anti-freeze agent, and installing a fountain heater. Protecting your fountain from the harsh winter conditions ensures that it remains functional and adds beauty to your outdoor space for many years to come.
Table of Contents
- How To Keep Water Fountain From Freezing?
- What Kind Of Heat Source Is Good For Keeping An Outside Water Fountain From Freezing?
- How Do I Keep My Water Feature From Freezing?
- How To Winterize A Water Fountain?
- How To Keep A Backyard Water Fountain Running Through The Winter?
- How To Keep Water Out Of Water Fountain During Winter?
- Water Fountain Heater
- How To Put A Water Fountain To Bed For Winter?
- How To Maintain A Water Feature?
- When To Drain Water Fountain?
Last update 2023-12-05